Fave Five Friday: Book Boyfriends




Mr. Darcy turned 200 years old last year and we still haven’t found him. We have our literary merchandise which has the quote, “Looking for Mr. Darcy” branded on it. Even though he has proved to be the ultimate Book Boyfriend over the centuries, here’s looking at the five book boyfriends I personally love.

Rusty from the Room on the Roof



By now I think sound like a broken record Ruskin Bond’s Rusty was the first fictional crush I ever had. It was amazing to see a character depicted in a novel that would eventually pursue writing. (In hindsight, I read too many characters like that in subsequent books, but at thirteen discovering Rusty and a whole new world of Indian Writing in English…it was something really special to me.) Till this day, I have maintained a soft corner for this cutesy boy from the hills.

Jesse de Silva from The Mediator



Crushing on a ghost seems a little out of the ordinary. But Jesse with his old world charms and maddening gentlemanly ways is the hero we all secretly crave for. Suze Simon just got luck when she found him. She did have to literally go through hell to be with him, but this character is for the keeps. He does also make one hell of a book boyfriend!

Gilbert Blythe from Anne of Green Gables



I had actually forgotten how much I had loved Gilbert Blythe when I first met him in my teenage years in the pages of Anne of Green Gables. I had brought that classic home from the library quite by accident. Even though he and Anne start off on the wrong foot, they are kindred spirits and share a wonderful life together eventually. I am glad that the author stuck with Anne and we got to grow old with our beloved little redheaded orphan.

Dax Miller from By Your Side



I encountered this character recently. I have to say that Dax Miller is a really good book boyfriend. He has issues of his own but he also learns to put others before him. He becomes the first person Autumn Collins ever confides in about her anxiety, besides her immediate family. He helps her through her episodes and encourages telling her friends about what is really going on with her. He helps her start a conversation that is needed.

Dev Jacobs from Bookishly Ever After



I find Indian Americans so misrepresented in popular culture so much that it’s not even funny anymore. They aren’t just the brainy students with the funny accents and uber strict parents. They are smart, funny and have an accent of their own. Dev was super sweet and super into our clueless heroine. He choreographs an entire dance to include her in it. It was super sweet and he certainly wins brownie points in my books for it. So in my list of book boyfriends, Dev Jacobs makes the cut.

Do you have a list of book boyfriends? Did I miss someone out in my list? Does one of them not deserve to be in the list? Let me know in the comments!

Comments